Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Words from the Well, 7

Before I forget, this post is brought to you by me, with inspiration from The Story Siren's In My Mailbox meme.

Yes, I agree- it's out of control.  But I was technically on vacation this past weekend, and this is how I treated myself...

The Odyssey The Lady and the Unicorn: A Novel The Dogs of Babel : A Novel The Bean Trees: A Novel (P.S.) Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby Mysteries, No. 1)

Via Paperbackswap:

Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby Mysteries, No. 1)

Via the SUNY Binghamton campus bookstore and library:

The Dogs of Babel - Carolyn Parkhurst
The Odyssey - Homer
The Lady and the Unicorn - Tracy Chevalier
The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver

I will be starting one of these tonight, as a matter of fact.  I think this will be the very first time I can begin a book within a week of buying it, so that's cause for some celebration, no?  Lucky for me, I get to go straight home after work, so you should hear back from me on that first book pretty soon.  Now which book is it I will be reading, you ask?  You'll just have to wait and see!  So exciting!  Are you excited?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news ...
As you probably guessed, I'm giving up on The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne.  I picked it out as my Ultimate Fall Book of the Totally Fall-ish Month of November.  I love fall.  But you know that already.  Anyway, I was hoping this book would be IT and might even get me into the New England literature scene, but I was so wrong.  I did enjoy a lot of the language, and the all-pervasive doom and gloom of Puritan America wrapped up in one House of Seven Gables:  But ancient superstitions, after being steeped in human hearts and embodied in human breath, and passing from lip to ear in manifold repetition, through a series of generations, become imbued with an effect of homely truth.  They do, indeed.  However, I dug through chapter after chapter of character descriptions with absolutely no action, and decided this was not the right literature for me.  Hence my buying Homer's Odyssey, which should go wonderfully with the modern rendering of Penelope's Daughter I bought recently and mentioned in WFTW 6.

Don't go away, folks, we are on a roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment