Monday, October 25, 2010

Hobbit-free fantasy

Hello there, all.  At the risk of being accused of lumping all my weekly (hah!) blogs together and ignoring you all the rest of the week, welcome back to Reader's Well for another review - not of a book this time, however - of an entire genre!  I haven't officially taken on this particular genre yet, partly due to my moratorium on book-purchasing (although I've been very naughty, and will explain this in a bit).  But after doing my homework, I most definitely plan to get started soon.  If you're familiar with the genre, and know your sh*t, please contact me or comment here and let me know what you think.

Yeah so I was browsing book blogs as usual and as was bound to happen eventually, came across an awesome article about Steampunk - what we need to know about it, why it's so awesome, and the possibilities inherent in the genre that will keep it alive for years (centuries?) to come.

Here is that article, written by author of Steampunk novels, Cherie Priest: The Clockwork Century.  I thought I'd share this in hopes of getting some feedback from y'all about this genre and if it's worthwhile for us fantasy-lovin' types.  I'd have to even narrow that down to certain kinds of fantasy because - let's just say I am totally into the LOTR movies, but as far as reading about Frodo's adventures in Middle Earth... not so much.  So look out for a re-posting of this entry sometime with your feedback on Steampunk as a literary genre, its relevancy to modern fantasy-that-isn't-about-hobbits and more info from me on both as I collect it (along with my thoughts).

With that, another Words from the Well post is on its way!  Yes I have been naughty.  Again!  :cackles:

No comments:

Post a Comment