Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Witches' Almanac, 2009-2010

The Witches Almanac: Spring 2009-Spring 2010 (Issue 28)Hah!  I bet you thought I was reading The Society of S, didn't you?  Well, I am, no worries.  However - as things are not always what they seem this Supernatural Summer of 2010, I will interrupt the usual reading list with a previous week's library-stash gem called The Witches' Almanac, issue 2009-2010, which is one in a series of booklets published annually to cover the coming year from spring to spring.  I know - spring 2010 is long gone, and a large section of these booklets is devoted to the horoscopes for the following year.  But the rest offers the lucky reader a treasure trove of fairy tales, folk tales, stories, reviews, various cultural tidbits, herbal and floral know-how, and beautiful, witchy black-and-white artwork.

A while back, the issues used to be more simply bound and harder to find - my first copy ever came from a trip to Salem, Massachusetts about fifteen years ago.  Wow I feel old.  But the newer editions are even more gorgeous with computerized color graphics on the covers to frame a thicker book chock full of great essays like "Floriography: The Language of Flowers" and "Hex Signs: Pennsylvania Dutch Charms."

I'll also let the 2009-2010 cover do some of the talking:

Being a compendium of ancient lore and legend -- the indispensable guide and delightful companion for adept, occultist, witch and mortal alike ... contains herbal secrets, advice about animals, mystic incantations, sacred rituals and many a curious tale of good and evil.

Past and future issues are on my list - why not just pencil one of 'em into your own?  If it's terrible, come tell me about it, and write your own review for the Reader's Well!

Happy Casting.

No comments:

Post a Comment