Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Lost Symbol


The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, No. 3) 

Not nearly as interesting as The DaVinci Code.  Sorry.  And yeah I'm one of those folks who read the latter and really was inspired to find out more on the subject.  I take Dan Brown with a grain of salt, of course, but I can't ignore the fact that he's got some interesting ideas.  Unfortunately with the former I was left with the same exact questions about the same mysterious group called Freemasons as I had at the beginning.  And nothing I learned about them throughout the book really held me in rapture like reading of Mary Magdalene's possible history and the supposed meaning of the Holy Grail.  But I do have a slightly-more-than-passing interest in noetic science now, although not enough to go beyond Wikipedia.  That said, the most interesting part of the book to me hadn't much to do with the Masons, but was the scene described in flashback, where a dying man's body is weighed during his passing, and a scale created by a noetic scientist measures his body's surrender of his soul (or whatever it is), which clearly proved that the substance had mass.  So, stuff like that = interesting.  Masons?  Still shrouded in mystery, and frankly I'm okay with that.  Otherwise, it's the usual fare.  Go see the film when it comes out, that DaVinci Code soundtrack is awesome.

My next project:  The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur C. Doyle (author of Sherlock Holmes stories).  So far so good, and the story is promisingly gothic, although it could be creepier.  But it's a detective/crime story, so I'll give it kudos for being somewhat creepier than the other Sherlock stories.  In any case I have to be nice because my husband loveslovesloves the various adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which was really the only reason I read any of them.  Not normally my cup o' tea, but we'll give it a run-down next week-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment