Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pride & Prejudice

I finished Pride and Prejudice pretty quickly because it was so hard to put down.  Despite having seen the movie umpteen times, I was still excited half to death with the suspense and sexual tension in the relationship between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy.  The relationship between Elizabeth's sister Jane and Mr. Bingley is no less worthy of this kind of nail-biting - yes, I'm a biter - as she struggles with the possibility that he does not love her as much as she loves him (and all because of that crackhead bastard Darcy).  Although each character's pride and prejudice consistently seem to thwart every possible happiness in the novel, Austen pulls all of the threads together.  Austen's smart and beautiful dialogue in this book, I have heard although cannot attest to yet, is incomparable even among Austen's own works.  I would not hesitate to pick up Pride and Prejudice again, and I completely understand its presence on many bibliophiles' Re-Read Every Year list.  Recommended highly to anyone who reads novels.

And that's it!  Thought I'd spare you a bit from topics of P&P you already did a million high-school papers on, so I kept it short.  What's there to be said about it that hasn't been said already?  It's good; read it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes. I very much agree. I've read quite a number of Jane Austen's novels, but Pride & Prejudice is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete