Monday, March 7, 2011

Ghost of a Chance (Chintz 'n China, Book 1)

Ghost Of A ChanceWell, hello again everyone, and sorry for the delay.  I've been busy reading, and I know you don't believe me so I'll give you the full update -- I have finished (not only my plant class which went swimmingly) Yasmine Galenorn's first book in the Chintz 'n China series, Ghost of a Chance.  And it was pretty darn good.  I haven't read a whole lot of mystery/detective-fiction, but the little I have read didn't impress me enough to actually buy the series which is why I received it via Paperbackswap instead.  Yep, I just bought the whole series 'cause I'm trying to devote more time to getting to know the authors of books I happen to like, rather than just pick randomly from different series and drive myself insane.  So Chintz 'n China it was, and good it was too.

Emerald O'Brien is teahouse owner, mother of two crazy kids, divorcee and just also happens to be ... the town witch? Sure why not, after all her beloved Nana did instill some witchy powers (and some sass) in Emerald for good reason -- the ghosties have taken up residence at Emerald's house and they are not happy campers. Susan Mitchell's ghost is determined to settle the score between herself and her husband who apparently murdered her, and begs Emerald for her help in catching the guy.  Now Susan seems decent enough for a ghost, until a much darker force follows in her footsteps, terrorizing both the O'Briens and Susan. Combine these strange new events in poor Em's life with a tarot card-confirmed promise that everything she knows is about to change drastically, and you'll be wishing you had picked up this read before bedtime, 'cause you'll just have to keep reading through the night to find out the goodies...  Who really killed Susan Mitchell? Who is the other crazy ghost threatening the lives of Emerald and everyone she loves? Will she be able to use her abilities to survive the craziness, keep her children and friends out of danger and even find love? Where is Nana when you really need her?

I loved this book, I'll just go right out and say it. Definitely more than the Sookie Stackhouse I read (Dead Until Dark), more than the Laurell K. Hamilton's I've read (before my blogging days), and actually more than I've enjoyed anything lately.  This is the book to pull you out of your life, and surround you with craziness and magical-ness that you actually find yourself believing.  Emerald is the one to root for, not perfect, but sassy, hilarious and smart.  The writing here is way better than I've read in books of the same type so bored you will not be if you pick this up, and you might even be lucky enough to find it in the bargain bin of your local store which I have several times.  Now, though, I'm not sure how Galenorn's books end up there at all, but hey I won't complain. Love this cover, by the way, I'm starting to like cats all of a sudden.

No comments:

Post a Comment