Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jane Eyre: The Movie

I don't usually review movies, but this was so obviously a book-movie and it begged to be blogged! I was originally inspired by the Goodreads challenge, which you'll see in my widgets up top. And what did I think of Jane Eyre the movie, without having read the book?...

I liked it!  Although I really don't know how Jane Eyre or Mr. Rochester were supposed to be portrayed, I can imagine the actors and directors did very well -- both were sympathetic, interesting characters, playing out a slightly different story from the usual Jane Austen-ish fare (which is really fine with me, anyway). Jane is strong-willed, Mr. Rochester is just as fiery, and everyone else pretty much pales in comparison, well mostly because their characters are not developed at all. Which is fine, since the movie clocked in at just over 2 hours anyway and who really cares about the whatsernames Reed and Rivers. The atmosphere was brooding and gothic (do I over-use that word? does everyone?), casting yet another sheen of gloom over Jane's tale of woe, that reminds me so much of my experience reading Wuthering Heights umpteen years ago. I'll assume that's just the Bronte sisters, sorry, I'm not too familiar with all the Brontes' work. There were some huh moments where I wondered for a split-second what was going on with the "kid" situation and other things* but these quickly got pushed to the background so I could keep up with what's happening next - very exciting! I must admit I did begin reading the book before watching the movie but you know how difficult it can be to switch genres like I've been, from a YA-type read to a literary classic.  But I'm glad I did see the film now, if only as it encourages me to finish the book. If you don't know the synopsis, you can check it out here.

* E(yet again)TA: Okay I'm reading on in the book, and I think I get it all now. It wasn't all totally clear in the movie but hey. There were other things to worry about like star-crossed love! And I could be a little slow on the uptake - after all, I don't own a TV (this newfangled technology is just confounding!)

Anyway, you'll see a review of Charlotte Bronte's book Jane Eyre up here sometime soon as well. I need to fill in some of those details that the movie inevitably skips past. Maybe you'll even read along with me, and face the challenge...

3 comments:

  1. Unrelated, but thanks for signing up for the Japan hop! New follower, too. =)

    Jennifer @ The Bawdy Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for inviting! Looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really really looking forward to this movie. It's not out at the closest theaters to my house though so I have to wait until this weekend at least. I'm glad to hear someone enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete