Monday, May 9, 2011

Mathilda Savitch

Mathilda Savitch: A NovelThe beer is almost like gratitude in a bottle, says 13-year-old Mathilda SavitchReally?  Okay so this was not the greatest book I've ever read.  But I'd heard some bad things about it before I started and was actually surprised because I liked some of it.  And then it came to parts like this, that sounded more like an old dude was talking than a tween girl, and I just had to put the book aside at those times.  However I did finish it and promise you that the story is not a bad one.  With a slightly different take on the character's perspective attached to a somewhat more exciting pace, this could have been much a better YA book about a young girl dealing with unimaginable trauma. The way it is, you will probably feel for Mathilda in some places and just jump out of the story suddenly, like say what? in others.  I don't often read books about teen girls written by men, and not to say that I won't, but I wonder what it could've been like written by a female.  This has got nothing on Before I Fall and other awesome books like Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (this one not reviewed on the blog unfortunately).

So it's been the doldrums here with nary a great book to speak of in the last couple weeks. But now I'm onto Barbara Kingsolver to nip that in the bud!  Check out the next review coming for her Prodigal Summer.  Just in time for our awesome weather too!  Oh yes, we're excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment