Monday, December 13, 2010

A fond see-you-soon

Yes, the lights have gotten a little dim here at the Reader's Well blog.  I am not going very far, so don't think I'm abandoning my post.  Things are just a little busy right now, so I won't be posting reviews *as often* as I have been (aka once a week or so, which I do realize has dwindled to about once a month).  Sorry, guys, I do expect to have more time next year (barely a month away!), and I am totally looking forward to reading what books I will undoubtedly accumulate in the meantime (and the ones on the shelves I still haven't gotten to after how many years/months...).

On the other hand, I have just received my very first free book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers!  It's called Original Sins: A Novel of Slavery and Freedom, written by Peg Kingman, who also wrote Not Yet Drown'd.  Original Sins is about Scottish woman Grace McDonald in 19th-century America who paints portraits to earn some money while her husband is away at sea.  Grace's good friend Anibaddh, a former slave, has just returned to America from the East Indies to push her successful silk business.  Right you are - a now-freed slave who has returned to the states from her comfortable life abroad in the Indies, and will now venture down south to make a few extra bucks?  Nah, Anibaddh is really looking for something else down in the slave states, and she draws her friend Grace into the intrigue - who, unbeknownst at the time, will have a great deal of history (hers, Anibaddh's, and America's) to reckon with.

It sounds like the good, the bad and the ugly in America's past will rear all their heads in this one, and I am really excited to get going!  Of course, I have also picked up another book (let it be a secret for now) to read simultaneously, and let me warn you if I haven't before, that never goes quite as planned.  So without further adieu, I change my Currently Reading widget thingy and bid you a fond see-you-soon, while I deal with some before- and aftershocks of moving, holiday shopping, marriage, and work madness.  You feel me, right?

Take care till then, folks, and have a fantastic holiday!
Yours,

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment